Frequently Asked Questions

1. How can I obtain a Certificate of Eligibility?
A Certificate of Eligiblity (CoE, 在留資格認定証明書, zairyuushikaku nintei shoumeisho) is applied for by your sponsor in Japan (employer, school or family) on your behalf. For more details, please click here

2. Is there any visa category for those who are engaged or in a partnership?
No. To apply for a spouse visa, you must have registered your marriage with the Japanese Government.

3. Is there any online application or can I post my visa application?
No. There is no online application and you must visit our office in person to submit your visa application.
If you cannot visit our office due to unavoidable circumstances, or if you live in a remote area, please kindly contact us.

4. My CoE is older than 3 months. Can I still use it?
The validity of the CoE has been extended due to the impact of COVID-19.

To determine the expiry of your CoE please see here.
*Please note that this is subject to change at any time.*
5. Can I apply for a tourist visa, or enter on a visa exemption?
At this stage you cannot apply for a tourist visa or enter on a visa exemption scheme from Australia.
6. Do I need to make an appointment?
No. An appointment is not required to visit our office so please feel free to come anytime during our open hours. Opening Hours:  9:00am - 12:00pm and 1:30pm - 4:00pm, weekdays.
However please be sure to double check our office holidays here as we are closed for Australian public holidays as well as several Japanese public holidays.

Please feel free to contact us on 07 3221 5188 or at