Japan Related Websites and Study Opportunities
Links for Travellers to Japan
Go Tokyo, Official Tokyo Travel Guide
This website includes detailed information on Tokyo's major tourist attractions, recommendations and special events. Routes for recommendation as well as maps and transportation advice make it easy for travellers to plan out their Tokyo trip.
Kyoto City Tourism Association
The 'Magonote' website by the Kyoto City Tourism Association is published in six different languages, and features relevant and useful information sections about the practicalities of travel: arrival; money; transportation; accommodation; and climate. Detailed information about Kyoto is included in the 'sightseeing', 'dining', 'fun', 'shopping' and 'experience' sections.
Japanese Educational Links
Queensland LOTE Library
The Queensland LOTE Library provides Japanese related books, CD's, DVD's, dolls etc to practicing teachers and instructors in Queensland. Resources are available not only in Japanese, but also Chinese, French, German, Korean and many other languages.
Japan Video Topics
This great selection of short videos about various Japan-related topics is available to stream free online. Topics range from traditions to seasonal cultures, technology, trends in Japan, nature and food etc. The video clips can be viewed in English as well as Japanese and other languages.
2023 MEXT Scholarship - Applications for the Teacher Training and Japanese Studies categories are now OPEN
Applications for the 2022 MEXT Scholarships in the Teacher Training category & Japanese Studies category are open.
Application deadline: Friday, 17 February 2023.
For further infortmation and application details, visit:
Applications for the 2023 MEXT Scholarships in the Undergraduate category & Research category are now closed as of Wednesday, 25 May 2022.
Please direct all enquiries to the MEXT Section at the Embassy of Japan in Australia:
(02) 6272 7252
The 15th Japan International MANGA Award - Applications CLOSED
The 16th Japan International MANGA Award
Guidelines for Application
To spread MANGA culture overseas and promote international cultural exchanges through MANGA.
- The Gold Award of the Japan International MANGA Award will be given to the best MANGA work, the Silver Award to three excellent works, and the Bronze Award to other eleven works.
- The Gold Award and the Silver Award winners will be invited to Japan approximately for 10 days on the occasion of the award ceremony as an extra prize (the Bronze Award winners are not entitled).
- Eligible MANGA works need to be composed of more than 16 pages. Both published and unpublished works are eligible to apply, excluding the ones that won the past Japan International Manga Awards.
- Eligible MANGA works should be produced within the past three years (2019-2022) from the date of application.
- Eligible MANGA works must be submitted in electronic form (PDF) or printed form (Works submitted in electronic form will be printed for selection procedures).
- Publishing company outside Japan can apply for the Japan International MANGA Award if the copy right holder of the MANGA work agrees to the application.
- Either the comic artist or story writer of the submitted work has to be a foreign national. The representative who will participate in the invitation program given to the Gold / Silver Award winners must be a foreign national as well.
- Only one work may be accepted per comic artist. (In case of multiple entries, only the first entry will be accepted.)
- For the purpose of publicity, the MANGA Award Executive Committee may use the winner’s MANGA works (partially) upon obtaining approval from the copyright holders.
How to Apply (Please refer to the attached file as well.)
- Application Period
・Application Form (Excel) DOWNLOAD FORM
The work should be submitted in either of the three forms below;
a) TWO copies of the printed work
b) ONE copy in electronic form (PDF)
c) ONE copy of the printed work and ONE copy in electronic form (PDF)
- Sending Address
・Sending address for Application Form(Excel): firstname.lastname@example.org
・Sending address for Manga Work
Attn: PIC of “The 16th Japan International MANGA Award”
Cultural Affairs Division,
Consulate-General of Japan, Brisbane
Level 17, 12 Creek Street, Brisbane, QLD 4000
*Please do not bring your applications in person. The details of data submission will be notified individually after the submission of the Application Form.
2) For applicants who live in Japan
Please visit: https://www.manga-award.mofa.go.jp/index.html
・Please name the electronic files of the Application Form (Excel) and the Manga Work as the first name and family name of the Manga artist. ex）TaroGaimu.xlsx TaroGaimu.pdf
・Eligible MANGA works that have been submitted in electronic form will be printed for the selection procedure. Please ensure that the submitted work is conformable to the A4 paper size when printed.
・Page numbers must be indicated on every page of the work.
・If the work is not in the form of a book, it needs to be indicated clearly if there is any specific two-page spread in the work.
・Although the form of the submission will not affect the selection results in any way, where possible, applicants are advised to choose the option c). When Japanese Embassies or Consulates in the country or region in which you reside specify the form of submission, applicants are advised to follow it.
・Additional copies may be requested for works being considered for an award.
- Return of Works
After the first round of screening by the Association of Japanese Manga Publishers, the 15th Japan international MANGA Award Selection Committee will be responsible for the selection procedures.
7. Award Ceremony
The award ceremony is planned to be held in Tokyo in February 2023.
※Regarding the invitation of winners to Japan and the Award Ceremony, the MANGA Award Executive Committee will make the decision based on the situation of COVID-19 infections.
Enquiries for QLD applicants:
Phone: 07 3221 5188