For general questions about the visa for Japan (e.g. processing time, price, how to apply etc.) please contact the Japan Visa Information Hotline.

Toll free phone number: 0279 086 813 (24 hours/ 7days a week, English only)


Work, Study, Long Term Stay

Certificate of Eligibility

Most of the applicants who wish to enter Japan under the category of Employment/Working, Study or other Long Term Stay visas should obtain, in principle, a Certificate of Eligibility from Japan.

A Certificate of Eligibility is a document that verifies the activity in which the foreigner wishes to engage in Japan. This document has the advantage of reducing the time required to obtain a visa and complete immigration procedures when work or long-term stay is the purposes of the trip, including such activities as; entertainer, professor, researcher, work or employment, religious activities, student, or long-term resident.

In order to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility, you are required to have a sponsor in Japan such as an employer, an agent, a school, relatives, etc. depending on the visa you wish to apply for. The sponsor in Japan needs to contact a regional immigration authority in order to apply for this certificate. Once the certificate has been issued, your sponsor will send you the certificate and you are then able to apply for a visa at this office with the required documents listed below. The application procedure for a Certificate of Eligibility is free of charge and generally takes approximately 2 to 3 months to process.

As noted on the Certificate of Eligibility, the certificate is valid for 3 months from the date of issue. If you fail to enter Japan within these 3 months, you may be refused your entry even with a valid visa.

Further information about categories of visas and visa procedures can be found on the website of Ministry of Foreign Affairs

(A) Long Term Visa Application with CoE (Certificate of Eligibility)

(B) Spouse or Child of Japanese National Visa Application WITH CoE

(C) Spouse of Japanese National WITHOUT CoE

(D) Child of Japanese National WITHOUT CoE

If you are a: however your CoE type is a category other than those mentioned above, please kindly contact our office for the list of requirements for your visa application.

Please note that additional documents may be requested if necessary.